PROGRAM GOALS & OUTCOMES
POPULATION SERVED: Youths Ages 15-21
STRENGTH BASED PROGRESSION CURRICULUM – 27 Weeks Program – One Hour Each Week
o SESSION I = 13 WEEKS
- Discovering Self and Building Character
- Exploring Relationships
o SESSION II = 14 WEEKS
- Citizenship, Stewardship and Self-sufficiency
- Discovering the Real World Society and Self
• Increase high school graduation rate/Drop-out prevention
• Promote Self-Sufficiency
• Increase Health and Disease Awareness
• Address Emotional Health - trauma, abuse, neglect, abandonment
• Decrease Youth Violence/Incarceration, Recidivism
• Explore Career and Employment Options - Vocational Training ,
College, Entrepreneurial Awareness
• Self-Awareness through empowerment via learning and
understanding one’s role in family, society, etc.
• Increase responsibility and accountability for their lives, their future,
PROGRAM UPDATE: Program Implemented: September 12, 2011
Students Served To Date: 322
Completed Assessments demonstrate C.A.N.D.L.E.S. value and difference in meeting the needs of its clientele. Comprehensive Assessment allows identification of students’ needs through client and environment approach. The C.A.N.D.L.E.S. difference provides individualized treatment/service plans that identify needs that are usually not addressed as these students fall through the cracks. It was further confirmed that our youths want help.
Some needs expressed by students are assistance in resolving:
- Self-blame following victimization.
- Issues of abandonment, neglect and abuse.
- Unworthiness, low self-esteem, identity.
- Emotional nurturing, anger management, conflict resolution.
- Educational, legal, health – advocacy and empowerment.
- Self-inflicting pain, depression, anxiety, cutting, etc.
- Tutor, mentor, case manager, medication management.